Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Foliage Phobia

Old Warehouse : Watercolour : 15 X 11 inches
Click on the image for a larger view

I must admit that I am foliage phobic. I tend to shy away from subjects that have too much of them. Lately, I have been telling myself that I need to focus on my weak areas. That was when, Vinayak Deshmukh who's a fellow blogger and a good friend sent me a picture of one of his paintings. I derived inspiration from it and here's my interpretation of the same scene. I made sure there was enough foliage to challenge my brush.

On a lighter note, when I was done with this painting I showed it to my 5 year old. She liked it and wanted to be in the scene. I told her that its looks like an abandoned building and that no one would go near it. She told me that she wasn't scared as long as I went with her. The result is for you to see.

Your comments, critiques and suggestions please. Thanks

9 comments:

  1. I am a bit of foliage fobic too. :)
    You have done great with the foliage.
    As a suggestion what I can say is I prefer to have the wall and the ground colors/edges merging into each other. A softer edge at the bottom of the wall would 'ground' the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The foliage has come out very nicely. Especially considering that you have imagined it. And I agree with you on the perspective thing. I had completely forgotten the second vanishing point where the lines of the roof should have converged. The front fportion also looks a little too steep, I agree. Hope to be able to give more attention to these things henceforth.
    Waiting fro your next work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great technical comments from folks. for me, its a fantastic painting especially with you and ammu on the scene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job & i think your daughter sounds adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful painting. I would love to see your daughter in the next painting....:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. loved your paintings/sketches.. please continue with your great work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the nice comments. Ya, it did take some guts :)
    Waiting for your new painting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonito ambiente logrado, me gusta mucho la composicion y el colorido, felicitaciones!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just browsing through your blog. . . I REALLY like this painting. I don't get why you're a foliage phobic, I think the foliage is my favorite part! I can't do foliage at all, that's why I don't do a background in most of my paintings :) Really beautiful work Sujit.

    And that is the sweetest thing, what your daughter said :) :)

    ReplyDelete